Yarn House knitters

Ongoing projects and yarn mainly originating from the Yarn House in Caterham, Surrey.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Sari Yarn

Two posts in one day! I could get to like this - unlike the Sari yarn I bought yesterday. I have wound three hanks into balls, that is THREE hanks into EIGHT balls. That is three hanks of pretty much the same colour, into eight balls of wildly varying colours. My hands are sore and they smell.

I don't like this stuff - yes I know its recycled and therefore a Good Thing, but at the price I paid, I sort of expected a little more quality control.

Speaking of recycled - did anyone see the recycled London yarn and general organic yarn at the show? I overheard little snippets of the girl on the stand preaching to a lady about Big Yarn Companies....it's not in their interest to recycle...the planet...da de da... all good stuff and very comendable. So I thought I would buy some, reached for a hank and ouch - it was like a Brillo pad (which of course I wouldn't dream of using because it is a Bad Thing). What a shame - if only they could produce something that was good for the environment AND usable. Maybe next year eh?

3 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

I'm starting to hear more about Big Yarn Co's here too. The woman at Circles is actually allergic to her yarns because of toxic metal levels in her blood and the dyeing process companies use. I think this type of thing won't be so unusual to hear in the future.
Didn't Sue buy sari silk last year? Have you seen her project with it?
And yes, I'm still a sucker for soft clean wool too.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Sheelagh said...

I will talk to Sue, because, yes I remember now that she had some - and possibly had similar feelings towards it!!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Philippa said...

I saw and touched the recycled yarn and didn't buy any because I didn't like the feel of it. I think I have seen adverts in one of the knitting mags for organis wool from Cornwall.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home